Generation Activist Data - Orb Media
Significant and surprising political shifts are in progress in many countries. Both the media and researchers have reported on filter bubbles, echo chambers, youth apathy and populism. That left us at Orb Media curious about how young people are thinking about government, politics and civic participation-and how current younger generations choose to act if they want to change something in their society.
Orb Media is an international nonprofit journalism organization. Orb is on the leading edge of journalism by offering rich data analysis, accompanied by multimedia.
Each story at Orb can be viewed in editorial mode, for a general audience, and in a data mode for an audience of experts. I designed illustrations and graphics for the feature stories Generation Activist and Fighting Blind, and I also designed the charts for the data reports. I also created the social media 'snackables' for both projects.
I also consulted with Graphicacy on the Plastic Question story for the feature illustrations and graphics and the data reports.
- Orb's chief data analyst, Heather Krause, is well-known in the field of journalism, and in 2016, she co-taught a MOOC course at the Knight Center, University of Texas-Austin, Data Exploration and Storytelling, with the chair of the University of Miami data visualization program, Alberto Cairo. Thousands of students from around the world attended this course (including me). I was honored to work with Heather Kraus in visualizing the results of global surveys.
Visualising inclusiveness and diversity - Eva-Lotta Lamm
last updated on 23 April 2021 adding articles on ethnic stereotypes]] Recently the question about how to sketch diversity and people from different ethnic and cultural backgrounds quite a few times during Q&A after my talks and in my workshops. It is a interesting and important question to raise and one with no quick and easy answer.
Finally, Banksy's artwork inspired the idea to make the illustrations appear on a weathered surface as if they were displayed outdoors. Typically, his work appears on the side of buildings in public spaces.
- Data was scientifically collected from 979,000 respondents from 128 countries. The data is included in nationally representative surveys.
- Statistical analysis of data included rake weighting and multi-level linear models.
- The data reveals a significant and growing generation gap between young adults and older people’s preferred means of participating in civil society.
- Substantial generation gap among those declaring an interest in politics
- Substantial youth voting power left on the table
- Strong relationship between corruption and willingness to vote among younger adults.
This is an example of the type of conversation Discovery Sketches promote. I was very happy with my experience working with Heather Krause.
Concepts → Blueprint
Concept Sketches: Chartoons
Data Sketches (sample)
All of the assets I made for Orb also had to be remade in foreign languages. Below: a sample of some of these languages.
Snackables for social media
For someone used to working on complex stories, these simple graphics needed to be quick, visceral reads. I enjoyed getting to practice again using text, image, and space in an elemental way.